Monday, February 27, 2012

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

BOOK DESCRIPTION: What if you only had one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life? Samantha Kingston has it all: looks, popularity, the perfect boyfriend. Friday, February 12, should be just another day in her charmed life. Instead, it turns out to be her last. The catch: Samantha still wakes up the next morning. Living the last day of her life seven times during one miraculous week, she will untangle the mystery surrounding her death--and discover the true value of everything she is in danger of losing.
MY OPINION: The light in my bedroom is off and pale moonlight is edging everything in silver. The static of my television is humming like a small ghost behind me and the sound is sinking into my skin and now I think that my body's humming, too. And I'm tiredI'm tired and my limbs are heavy and I feel like I'm already dreaming, which is why it's the perfect time to talk about this book. 
I think we're all aware of how magnificent Lauren Oliver's writing style is. She is truly, truly brilliant. Her words are like a spool of yarn and she knits them together one after another and creates something beautiful, something like a masterpiece. The honesty in this book is astounding. Never in my life have I read such a perfectly crafted teenage girl complete with a perfectly crafted group of friends that all shine with the sort of life that you don't normally find in novels. Although Sam and her group are the 'mean girls' of their school, I found them so likable and real that I didn't even pay much attention to that. It's rare to read a story in the perspective of the mean girl, you know? I liked how Oliver let us into Samantha's mind. We got to see the workings of the inner circle and the way they all act with each other and with other people. It was amazing. And, they were so funny. That's something that I noticed when reading. Samantha was probably the most well written teenage girl that I've ever read. Ever.
I know that this isn't the first time a story has been told where the main character repeats the same day of their life until they get it right but Before I Fall somehow manages to be different than anything else I've ever read. The fact that we got to see the affect that Sam's choices made each day, and how one thing she chose to do in the morning fell like a domino and affected everything elsethat was wonderful, it really was.The secondary characters were absolutely brilliant. Every single one of them was three dimensional and they were my friends by the end of the novel. Juliet Sykes was perfect. The way her mind worked and the way she reacted to things was very sad but it was honest and that's the most important. Kent. Oh, Kent. He was perfect. Perfect, perfect, perfect. I'm surprised that he'd stuck by Sam for that long with the way she acted and everything, but I'm so glad that he did. 
This novel was breathtaking. Honestly. The way it was told was so unique and it literally made me think about my life and the way I treat people. Life is such a strange thing. It can end at any time and none of us know what comes after and that is both comforting and terrifying all at once. In case you were still wondering, I suggest this to everyone and anyone. This book is important and it deserves all the attention in the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment